A few weeks ago the darling Heidi of the blog Banana Buzzbomb tagged me in a 7 Random Things post. I LOVE reading lists and Q & A’s about people. Getting to know the little bits and pieces about people is so fun. Heidi is like a little ray of positive, rainbow/sunshine! She is so much fun to follow on twitter and on her blog.
So in honor of Heidi and in case you are curious, here are seven random things about me. But with a twist- they are all things about my childhood:
1. When I was little I wanted to be a ‘part-time comedian/part-time veterinarian’ when I grew up. I never understood why my parents and other grown ups thought that was soooo funny. Now I get it. ;)
2. I had a beloved China doll that was a Swedish man/skier. I wanted that doll so bad! I guess I saw it in a boutique with my mom or something because it was definitely not a kids’ toy. But my mom got him for me and I named him Sven. I loved him so much. He has mysteriously disappeared these days. :( Later I got a frog man doll and I named him Sven Jr. as an homage to Sven Sr.
3. I played the cello. I loved it (or the idea of it) but I wasn’t very good and I didn’t practice as often as I should have. When I did practice and messed up I would hit the strings with the bow and make crazy noise to de-stress. This must have led to my love of loud punk-rock later in life.
4. Our family dog was Sammy. He was strictly an outside dog (with his own heat-lamp heated doggie house in the garage). When no one was looking I would let Sammy in and act like he just ran past me. He never just hung out calmly like I hoped. He’d run straight for the kitchen garbage. Then he had to go back out. This was back before we knew about Cesar Milan and calm-assertiveness and all that… ;)
5. My older sister was really into rap and hip hop music. I was not! I was into new wave and punk. But she had the car and the pullout Alpine stereo (HA!). I pretended to hate her music and I was really embarrassed to pull into the school parking lot with the Alpine bumpin’ Eazy E… but I secretly loved it.
6. I loved to cook and bake (and, of course, still do!). I must have been a pretty mature kid because my very protective mom let me make the salad for dinner every night. I used the biggest knife we had to cut all the veggies. I can remember being, like, seven or eight and chopping the salad every night. She also let my sister and me use the oven for cookies any time we wanted. She was probably right there with us, but it seems like we had free reign of the kitchen appliances.
7. I had a brown 10-speed bike (the hipsters would love it today!). I used to pretend it was a black Trans-Am with a purple pinstripe with my name on it. (I was with eight or nine- don’t judge!)
So there’s my random things. I’d love to hear some random (and embarrassing) things about you too!